The 10 things you can do to improve your health and overall wellness at menopause
- Have your hormone levels tested
- Consider and discuss with your doctor a well balanced regimen of bio-identical hormones. Recent research has shown that taking bio-identical hormones can improve mood and hot flashes in women after menopause.
- Have your thyroid tested and correct any thyroid dysfunction (hypothyroidism is quite common in menopausal women)
- Address any sleep issue such as insomnia, sleep apnea, or narcolepsy
- Take a comprehensive supplement regimen to support your immune system and metabolism (antioxidants, Probiotics, and Omega-3 fatty acids)
- Engage in a relaxation technique to improve mood, immune system function, and reduce body inflammation
- Stick to a well-balanced diet
- Follow a structured, well balanced exercise program for overall wellness
- Check your vitamin D levels and fix any vitamin D deficiency, if applicable. There is a high correlation between autoimmunity and Vitamin D deficiency
- Food sensitivity testing to know which foods your immune system is sensitive to in order to avoid them and thus decrease bodily inflammation and improve metabolism efficiency
Ridha Arem, M.D.