Thyrolife Protein Boost Diet
Eating Plan (1,200-1,500 Calories)
2-3 ounces of seafood
or poultry or lean meat
OR ½ cup of plant based proteins
OR egg/dairy substitutes. (see below)
|+||½ to ¾ cups of favorite fruit
OR ½ cup favorite fruit
|+||1 portion unit of good fats
|½ cup of oatmeal,
OR 2 cups of cold cereal,
OR 1 cup of gluten free cereal,
OR ½ cup edamame.
|+||1 cup of unsweetened soy milk
OR ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk
|1 cup of cooked
(legumes/gluten free grains)
i.e.: beans, lentils,
|+||2 to 4 ounces of seafood
OR poultry or lean meats
OR ½ to ¾ cups plant
|+||At least 3 cups of
|+||1 cup of berries
|+||1 portion unit
of good fats.
|6-8 ounces of seafood
OR lean meats
OR 1 ½ cups of legumes/
gluten free grains.
|+||4 cups of vegetables||+||1 portion unit of good fats. [NO FRUITS!]|
**GOOD SPICES FOR YOUR MEAL PERPARATION ARE: CUMIN, GARLIC, GINGER, OREGANO, THYME, AND TUMERIC.
**GOOD CONDIMENTS TO USE ARE: BALSAMIC AND WHITE VINEGAR. TOMATO PASTE, TOMATOES, AND TOMATILLOS CAN BE INCLUDED IN YOUR MEAL PREPARATION**
FAVORITE PLANT BASED PROTEINS
- Beans (i.e. fava beans, lima beans, black beans, others).
- Green peas
- Brown rice
- Gluten free grains (i.e. amaranth, teft)
Avoid or minimize whole grain consumption at dinner time.
FAVORITE NON-PLANT BASED PROTEINS
- SEAFOOD: Tilapia, mahi mahi, catfish, flounder, haddock, Atlantic cod, bass, sole, wild salmon, trout, crab, shrimp, mollusks, herring, sardines
- POULTRY: turkey, chicken breast
- Beef liver
- LEAN MEAT: veal, goat, game meat
Alternative Proteins: eggs and dairy (to avoid or eat less often)
**Substitute for 2 ounces of seafood, poultry, or lean meats in eating plan**
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- ½ cup cottage cheese and plain yogurt
- ½ cup ricotta or feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
SOME FAVORITE VEGETABLES TO CONSUME MORE ROUTINELY*
– Brussel Sprouts
OTHER VEGETABLES (Mostly for salads)
*some of these vegetables are considered goitrogens (impairing thyroid function when eaten in large ampints particularly in a raw form) but have tremendous health benefits. They should be consumed in a steamed, boiled or cooked form to prevent their negative thyroid effects.
FRUIT ALTERNATIVES (eat less often)
GOOD FATS (BEST PICKS) (amounts given as a portion unit)
- Healthy oils (olive oil, etc.) = 1 teaspoon
- Olives = 5
- Avocado = 1/8 of a whole
- Nut milks = 1 cup
- Nut butter = 1 teaspoon
- Coconut oil = 1 teaspoon
- Tofu = ¼ cup
ALTERNATIVE GOOD FATS (amounts given as a portion unit)
- Nuts: 2 walnuts, 4 hazelnuts, 2 pecans, 6 almonds, 7 peanuts, or 7 pistachios.
- Seeds: pine nuts, pumpkin, sesame, chia seeds, and sunflower seeds (2 teaspoons); flaxseed (1 tablespoon)