Explore the 10 Steps to Thyroid Wellness
10 Steps to Thyroid Wellness
Balancing your thyroid hormones
- Promptly correct your thyroid imbalance with the right thyroid medication.
- Keep your thyroid perfectly well balanced at all times
- Appropriate monitoring of your thyroid with the right tests and fine tuning your treatment.
- Regular fine tuning of your thyroid treatment, using the right dose of medication
- T4 and T3 therapy in the right way and the right ratio for lingering symptoms
Address stress issues
- Use the right relaxation techniques
- Stress affects immune system, which can affect the thyroid
- Beware of stress thyroid escalation cycle
Address depression and anxiety
- Counseling, psychotherapy, antidepressants
- Support from family and friends
Balance your hormones
- Bioidentical hormone replacement for menopause
- Address growth hormone deficiency
- Low testosterone
- Address PCOS with the right program
- Weight issues and other
Address cardiovascular risks
- High blood pressure
Address your sleep issues
- Sleep apnea
- Sleep fragmentation
- Sleep deprivation
Healthy nutrition: the Protein Boost Diet (Low glycemic, low saturated fat, high fiber, high protein eating plan)
- For weight loss
- To support the immune system
- To improve your cardiovascular health
- To prevent disease
The Arem Exercise Program (20/10 Exercise Program – See The Protein Boost Diet)
- Aerobic with intermittence
- Mindful exercise
- Gluten sensitivity, common among thyroid patients
- Other food sensitivities can promote weight loss resistance, inflammation, and symptoms
- Vitamins, antioxidants, and other micronutrients to support the immune system, the thyroid, and to make thyroid hormone work more efficiently (i.e. ThyroLife Optima)
- Pay attention to iodine. Do not over supplement.
- Probiotics: essential for restoring normal bacterial flora balance. This reduces inflammation in the GI tract and in your body, which helps the immune system and will help you with successful weight loss.
- Omega 3 fatty acids, essential for the immune system, cardiovascular health, and for weight loss.
- Vitamin D if needed. Vitamin D is crucial for the immune system, for your cardiovascular health, and for your mood.
- Calcium supplementation for optimal weight loss and for bone health.
- Follow the medication and supplement schedule for thyroid patients for best results. It is an easy and effective plan to enhance and optimize your thyroid treatment.
Medication and Supplement Schedule
Thyroid Hormone Medication – 1 hour before breakfast
- 3 capsules of Probiotic 7-7- Right before breakfast
- 3 capsules ThyroLife Optima- Right after breakfast
- 2 soft gels ThyroLife Omega- Right after breakfast
- 1 tablet Thyroid Wellness Ultra Calcium D3- with lunch
- 1 tablet Thyroid Wellness Ultra Calcium D3- with dinner
Dr. Arem’s 10 Commandments to Weight Loss
These 10 Commandments outline the fundamentals of a truly successful approach to healthy weight loss. They include suggestions for maintaining optimal thyroid health and for achieving and maintaining balance and efficiency of metabolism regulating hormones.
1. Stick to a healthy, hormone-balancing, immune system friendly eating plan (ThyroLife Protein Boost Diet Eating Plan); two important principles:
*Avoidance of foods that irritate the immune system and promote inflammation.
*Following a high fiber, slightly high protein, low glycemic Mediterranean diet, low in saturated fat and trans-fat.
2. Engage in a regular cardio and resistance exercise program (Dr. Arem’s 20/10 Exercise Program).
3. Address stress issues and depression (mind body techniques, yoga, tai chi, etc…):
*Mind body techniques reduce immune system agitation and reduce body inflammation.
4. Use techniques to overcome cravings and bad food choices (cognitive behavioral techniques)
5. Balance your thyroid hormones. Individualized thyroid hormone regimen highly recommended – monitoring is crucial:
*Perfect thyroid hormone levels are key factors for optimal metabolism and weight-loss efforts.
6. Balance your sex hormones and correct other hormonal Problems:
*Sex hormone levels affect metabolism. Growth hormone deficiency can be the root of slowing of metabolism and significant weight loss resistance.
7. Address sleep issues:
*Sleep apnea, sleep deprivation, and sleep interruptions can reduce the ability to burn extra fat and can promote weight gain and weight loss resistance.
8. Address food sensitivities:
*Foods such as gluten, dairy, or other foods that might irritate the immune system can promote systemic inflammation, insulin resistance, and leptin resistance.
9. Drink plenty of water, avoid high calorie drinks, avoid processed foods, and eat as organic as possible.
10. Take natural, safe supplements to enhance metabolic functions and immune system support (see weight loss supplement program):
*Antioxidants, several micronutrients, minerals, and vitamins are critical for optimal fat burn. Pay attention to calcium intake and vitamin D supplementation as insufficient calcium and vitamin D intake can promote weight loss resistance. Well balance probiotic mix, omega 3 fatty acids, and safe weight loss helpers will enhance weight loss when you embrace the ThyroLife Protein Boost Diet Program.
The Fundamentals of The Thyrolife Protein Boost Diet
Most diets out there tend to focus on one specific fundamental such as low-glycemic or high protein all while ignoring other important fundamentals. You may initially lose weight on these diets but will ultimately have a hard time keeping the weight off simply because these diets are imbalanced and do not take into account important pillars necessary for effective, long term weight loss.
When you become overweight or obese, regardless of the cause, the hormones that regulate your body fat become imbalanced as a result of the weight gain. This imbalance can be observed at both the tissue and cell level. The metabolism-energizing hormones that normally make you burn fat to generate heat, leptin and thyroid hormone become inefficient. Now you suffer from both leptin and thyroid hormone resistance.
ANY DIET THAT DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT HOW YOUR METABOLISM REGULATING HORMONES WORK IS INEVITABLY IMBALANCED.
The Thyrolife Protein Boost Diet is a science-based, well-structured diet that fulfills all the important fundamentals: High protein (but not in excess), high fiber (roughly 30 to 35 grams a day), low-glycemic (during the evening and dinnertime), immune system friendly, and low in saturated and trans-fat. The Thyrolife Protein Boost Diet utilizes foods to energize your mitochondria and make these hormones work more efficiently. It also improves and re-balances the activity of growth hormone, insulin, cortisol and other hormones involved in energy burning, appetite and food choices. The diet will also help you synchronize your central circadian and cellular clock for optimal metabolism so that you can lose weight safely and efficiently. The combination of specific proteins in the Protein Boost Diet meal plan will give you a complete amino acid profile that will boost your metabolism because the provided essential and non-essential amino acids will help curb your appetite and speed up your metabolism.
The Main Benefits of The ThyroLife Protein Boost Diet:
- Restores the efficiency of metabolism boosting hormones
- Improves insulin resistance
- Reduces ghrelin levels (ghrelin increases your cravings and slows your metabolism)
- Improves growth hormone levels and efficiency, leading to more efficient fat burn
- Reduces inflammation and free radical buildup
The Practical Fundamentals of The Thyrolife Protein Boost Diet For Weight Loss and Healthy Metabolism
- Avoidance of foods that the immune system is reactive to (i.e. gluten, dairy, and possibly other foods based on food sensitivity testing).
- When the immune system is reactive to a food, it generates inflammation chemicals that contribute to systemic inflammation which promotes leptin resistance and insulin resistance, and therefore, weight loss resistance.
- Your meals should be rich in fiber so that the total 24-hour consumption of fiber ranges somewhere between 30 and 35 grams (6-8 grams for breakfast, 10-15 grams for lunch, and 10-15 grams for dinner).
- High fiber meals will make the meal low glycemic and will minimize insulin surges. This is very beneficial to counteract insulin resistance and fat storage.
- Plant based options of the ThyroLife Protein Boost Diet always preferable.
- Moderately high protein content at each meal with combination of proteins (plant based options always preferable).
- Good quality proteins and combination of proteins provides the best mix of amino acids that promote fat burn in the mitochondria of cells. Legumes and fish being favorite proteins.
- Meals should be low glycemic and low in simple sugar content. You should minimize or avoid simple sugar intake at dinner time.
- Low glycemic meals and low sugar intake, especially at dinner time, will reduce insulin surges that can promote fat storage.
- Avoidance of fruits and drinks high in fructose.
- High fructose consumption can damage metabolism and promote insulin resistance and inflammation.
- Examples of foods rich in fructose: oranges, pineapples, and bananas.
- Also avoid foods and drinks containing high fructose corn syrup.
- Inclusion of small amounts of good fat such as olive oil, other vegetable oils, olives, or avocados in each meal.
- Avoid saturated fats and trans fats as much as possible.
- Minimize red meats as much as possible.
Weight Loss Supplement Program
For optimal fat burn and weight loss as well as for optimal thyroid and immune system health, it is important that you take on a daily basis the right amount of all necessary vitamins, antioxidants, micronutrients, and ingredients. All of these are included as a complete, yet simple supplement program. Not only these supplements will help your metabolism, but also they will support your immune system and will keep your thyroid gland healthy and will make thyroid hormone work more efficiently in your body.
- Thyrolife Optima: 3 capsules with (or at the end of) breakfast = complete well-balanced mix of antioxidants, vitamins, essential minerals, and many in ingredients designed to reduce free radicals and inflammation, and to promote health of the thyroid gland and support the immune system.
- Probiotic 7-7: 3-5 capsules in the morning right before breakfast for immune system support, reduction of GI inflammation, and to help you with your weight loss efforts = Mix of 7 important probiotics to rebalance bacterial flora.
- Thyrolife Omega (DHA/EPA): 2 soft gels in the morning with ThyroLife Optima = For immune system support and optimal metabolism.
- Liquid Vitamin D3 or other forms of Vitamin D supplementation: To reduce inflammation and immune system reactivity and to promote weight loss.
- Body Slim Mediterranean: 2 capsules in the evening or at night = Helps with stress related cravings and improving metabolism.
- Calcium supplement (i.e. Ultra Calcium D3): 1 tablet at lunch and dinner time, hours after intake of thyroid medication.